July 09, 2013

JIMMY SHORTS WITH PATTERN

shorts with free pattern

Summer is officially here, time to celebrate it with some shorts!

shorts with free pattern

The Jimmy shorts are lined and pleated with a loose fit. There are handy side pockets for introvert comfort, a fly zipper and a pant hook waist closure. They aren't high-waisted, I would call them a regular rise. The fit could be considered slightly "man-repelling" however they are certainly short enough to make up for it and I love a blouse-y short right now.

jimmy shorts with free pattern

I decided to try my hand on a bit of beading. I used silver glass beads and beaded over the fabric pattern. These shorts give such a lovely sparkle in the sunlight. The sparkle from glass is just oh, so much nicer than the sparkle from say plastic sequins. If you do try out some beading make sure to leave at least a 1" gap from any seams or areas of topstitching.

beading shorts

It took 10 hours to bead the two front and two back panels. Yikes. Luckily I was able to do about 2 hours of it with this lovely view. 

david lam park

This fuschia pair is made from a lovely breathable linen. You might recognize them from the previous Elise Tee post. Thanks for all the encouraging comments on getting this pattern out!

jimmy shorts with free pattern

What a catalogue shot.

jimmy shorts with free pattern

I have a greater understanding of why I created super simple patterns previously because this one took forever! Expect a return to simplicity.


jimmy shorts with free pattern

Happy sewing!

xoxo Melissa

22 comments:

  1. Thank you for this pattern! Your shorts are lovely - and the beads such a good idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I recognised the pink shorts, glad you made the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing your extraordinary job :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have found your pattern, in Burda and I love it!!! Thanks for sharing all the amazing patterns you have created!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should start charging soon! I am so excited to try these shorts! I'm going to print Monday when I'm back at work! I'm excited about the lining; hopefully it'll help keep them in place when it's especially humid and hot outside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the lovely comments. Glad you all like the shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad I found this through Pinterest, thanks so much for sharing!! I've been wanting to try to make my own shorts this summer and your pattern is perfect :)

    A Splash Of Tan

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, I love these! I would pair them with some colorful tights, heeled oxfords, and the Odette for the fall season! Thanks again for sharing your talent!
    -Julia @handicraftiness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the great pattern! It's my first time sewing shorts and it's been going great. One question.... when do you sew the back sides together? I feel like I'm missing that step. I got to the part of sewing the front and backs at the side seams but when do you do the back seam?

    Thanks!
    Sivan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sivan!

      Thanks for catching this! You finish the back seam (crotch curve) after you sew the inseams and outseams. I have updated the pattern with this missing step if you would like to download it again.

      Melissa

      Delete
  10. hi ~ Hello ~ I am Taiwanese friends ~ very pleased to have the opportunity to your website ...
    I want to download shorts mode ... but it has not download> "<... Will not download yet? Thank you ~
    My mail is babe5499@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. did you delete the pattern? bummed :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caroline! I think I just fixed it. I think it has been broken for a very long time. If it still doesn't work for you, you can always find my patterns on Burdastyle.com.

      Thanks for letting me know what's up,
      Melissa

      Delete
    2. oh oh oh! THANKS! :) Didn't realize you were on BurdaStyle too. Muchas Gracias!

      Delete
  12. I couldn't love these more! And especially the idea of a 'blousy' short. So great to discover your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This project has been diabled? But why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      I blame dropbox! They recently did an upgrade of some sort. It should be enabled now!

      Thanks so much for letting me know.

      Delete
  14. Thanks for this amazing pattern - I love it and they fitted perfectly first try. I've made two pairs already!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They aren't high-waisted, I would call them a regular rise. The fit could be considered slightly "man-repelling" however they are certainly short enough to make up for it and I love a blouse-y short right now Yamaha Specs

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope to sew these shorts in a purple linen I have. If the fabric is thick enough (so it's not see-through) do you think I can sew it without a lining? What is the purpose of the lining?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for these - I have been looking for a good shorts pattern and I think I've found it ! Brilliant instructions and very clear layout. love the 'man-repelling' comment - I have a much loved pair of old shorts which have become a bit shapeless and baggy (wear them for gardening now !) - even before they became baggy, they were man-repelling - but so comfy !!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi There, I just found this pattern (and your site) and am super impressed. Thank you for making these available. I will definitely make them - it will be my first pair of me-made shorts. I do have a sizing question. My hips put me at a size 4 and my waist at a size 8. Should I cut a 6 and go from there? (I'll muslin it and will figure it out that way, but which measurement is more important in these, waist or hips?) Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...